Friday, January 23, 2004

I Can Call You Names, But How Dare You Do That To Me

I love when people talk about the freedom of speech. It's wonderful that you can say whatever you want, isn't it? The one thing that you have to remember is that it works both ways. People will attack you for what you have to say.

It is not my intention for this blog to be politically related at all. There are far more interesting things for me to write about and there are enough television channels dedicated to the matter of politics. But today we are going to talk about certain participants in the recent moveon.org awards show in NYC.

There were two entries that were saying that George Bush was a modern day Hitler. That is not what I am writing about. I am writing about the behavior of Margaret Cho, the popular Korean-American comedienne and the bald, attention grabbing musician Moby. These two people are mistakenly under the impression that it's alright to insult someone, but it's wrong for fans or followers of the person they insult to in turn insult them back.

Moby is blaming President Bush and Matt Drudge for the hateful and racist emails that Margaret Cho has received after her blistering comedic tirade against the sitting president. He claims that Matt Drudge took what Cho said out of context, despite the fact that Drudge printed what Cho said word for word. This, in my opinion, is outlandishly stupid behavior by both Moby and Cho.

I want to make it abundantly clear that I enjoy the comedic stylings of Margaret Cho, the music of Moby, and I do not belong to any political party and cannot vote in the USA. However, I know that you cannot insult someone, especially a popular person like a president, and not expect to be insulted in return.

This is a simple case of whiners and troublemakers being able to dish it out and not being able to take it. Rather than just suck it up, they go on and attack the Republicans and the president even further. Cho refers to George W. Bush as Dumya on her own web site. I believe Matt Drudge said it best, "Those E-mails are mild compared to what I receive on a daily basis. That is the nature of the Internet. Moby and his friends just have to 'butch up."

No comments: