Saturday, January 17, 2004

I Am MacGuyver

I spent last night with one of my oldest friends and his adorable baby daughter. It's nice to see that he has a natural ease with this newborn. I can only imagine which of his wild traits she has inherited.

We had fun watching Bruce Almighty, eating some pizza, and drinking some beers. He resides in a rather tony neighborhood on the other side of town from where I live. Everything is upscale with rather posh shops actually located in the community itself. He says Starbucks is a great place to people watch.

On the way home I stopped off to buy some milk. I wouldn't be able to start my day off right without my better tasting, Peanut Butter Cap'n Crunch. I bought my milk without incident and drove the short distance to stately Grinch Manor. I put my key in the recently stiffening deadbolt and that's when the key snapped off in the lock.

It was 2AM and I had better things to do with my time. I set my milk down and took a closer look at the lock. What I needed were some needle nose pliers and a flathead screwdriver. Fortunately for me, these tools could be found in the trunk of my car.

I looked around my car emergency kit and easily found the screwdriver I needed, but I had only regular pliers. I used the flathead to turn the deadbolt the rest of the way, but no matter how hard I tried, I could not extricate the broken portion of the key from the lock. It was at this point that I decided to take a little break and check my mail.

The only mail I had was from my bank and it was telling me what I great idea it would be to open a new account with them. I didn't enjoy the prospect of having to spend the night in my car or driving down South and spending the night at my Dad's. I started to think of what MacGuyver would do.

The answer was simple - use a credit card for the bottom lock. I thought to myself that there was no way that it could be so easy to jimmy the lock. I made my way to the door after having a swig of the fat free T.G. Lee to steady my nerves. I did not want to damage any of my real credit/debit cards so I whipped out my expired Sam's card. I stuck it in the crevice where the bolt would be, pressed forward, and the door just popped open. There is nothing like the sweet taste of victory.

Now I am sitting here after my sojourn to the office with my interesting tale. I am awaiting the arrival of the maintenance man to replace my dearly departed deadbolt. The lady in the office gave me a backup key, but I just had to be MacGuyver one more time. The thrill never ends.

No comments: