Thursday, January 24, 2008

Heath Ledger Dead at 28, Nerds Frantic Over Status of New Batman Film

It was with a great sense of shock that I read that Heath Ledger had died. I had just sat down at the computer after coming home from work and that was the headline that greeted me on the CNN website. How could this possibly be?

Heath was not one of my favorite actors, although he had made quite a few good films in his brief career. I was curious to see what his version of one of my favorite villains would be like in the new Batman movie. He never really seemed to be tabloid fodder aside from one posting by Perez Hilton, where Perez wondered why Heath was no longer sexy.

In this day of celebrities caught in self destruct mode(Brittany, Lindsay, Amy, etc.), I was amazed that this rather quiet celebrity was outlived by these people. His autopsy today was inconclusive, but there were sleeping pills and supposedly other drugs found at the scene. There are rumors of drug abuse in his past, but they are still putting together his recent past together.

What was almost as shocking were the anguished cries of movie nerds. Not that this talented person had died and left behind a 2 year old daughter, but would their precious Batman be released without any problems. Imagine how awful it would be if they had to to do reshoots and the star is too dead to help them. Oh, the inconvenience!

Well, these folks can rest easy as the film is actually in post production. It remains to be seen if this will be the performance of a lifetime. I certainly hope that it is.

No comments: