Monday, May 24, 2004

These Are My Pecs, or the Latest Hit in the Cinema - Troy

I went with one of my good friends to see the movie Troy yesterday. There really wasn't anything else worth seeing in the theatre and I am a big fan of history. Also, I wanted to see just how good a movie with an Aryan looking actor with long, blonde, Barbie like hair who is supposed to be Greek could be. Surprisingly, Brad Pitt wasn't bad.

Orlando Bloom annoyed the hell out of me in this film. He's such a delicate looking man, he almost looks like a pretty girl. He played the director's vision of Paris perfectly. What really made me laugh were the posts in the forums on IMDb. My favorite was, "Is Helen a lesbian or pedophile?" Seriously, Bloom was almost as pretty as she was.

While not being the greatest film, Troy was still rather fun to watch. I agree with the director's decision to remove the Greek gods from the movie but it was rather sad to see him take the liberty of rewriting mythology to make the story more dramatic. For example, killing some characters who didn't die in the Iliad, omitting other characters, and making the Trojan war seem as thought it lasted a few days as opposed to the ten years it was to have raged. Eric Bana was also quite good as Hector. I'd say give it a look.

What is more interesting is that Morrissey has released a new album. I am not a big fan of his or the Smiths for that matter, but the first single of his new album is Irish Blood, English heart. If any of you are familiar with the story between the English and the Irish then you can understand just how powerful the song of an Irish-Englishman with torn allegiances can be.

I've been dreaming of a time when
To be English is not to be baneful
To be standing by the flag, not feeling shameful,
Racist, or partial

This is an amazing song. Give it a listen.

No comments: